Thursday 28 January 2016

My Summer Girl

It’s Tuesday, another typical college day, or at least it should be. I got up at the same time, left the house at the same time, but today is different, because I met her for the first time. I was sat in my usual spot on the bus doodling away in my notebook, I looked up for the briefest of moments and there she was, walking straight toward me, all ringlets and freckles and bulging green eyes. I held in my breath as she took the seat next to me, but before I do I inhale her scent. Her perfume, geraniums and patchouli, filling my brain with memories of a perfect summer day. I shifted uncomfortably in my seat. I don’t know why the proximity was bothering me so much, possibly because this was likely to be the only time a girl this perfect would ever be in my vicinity again. My eyes drifted down to her hands where they lay in her lap, she was subconsciously worrying at the hem of her dress, eyes fixated on some distant world. Her skin was so impossibly pale, the colour of cream and as delicate as porcelain. I desperately wanted to reach out and take her hand, but that’d be weird considering I hadn't even spoken a single word to her yet. I opened my mouth to say hello, but it was too late, my stop was looming overhead. I hope she’s there tomorrow I thought to myself, I can’t say goodbye to her twice.

No comments:

Post a Comment