Wednesday 30 December 2015

Rejoice, My Dear Reveller


My body is a broken down fairground; my mind a dazzling carousel of spinning half rendered thoughts. The eyes sunken into my skull are lights that flash too bright in shades of periwinkle, lime and crimson, I struggle to focus. My heart thuds inside my chest; it's a bumper car crashing at full speed, against barriers not strong enough to withstand. My limbs are ferris wheels whirring and flying and I simply cannot sit still. My body feels all at once ethereal and insignificant that I find myself lost in the former beauty of this once animate corpse. 
Then I remember, 
this fairground has been forgotten. 
Lights that once burned so brightly, snuffed out by the world’s cruel breath. 
Arms that used to hold me safely to the earth have fluttered away, 
like dandelions in the wind. 
I stand in the centre of the deserted grounds, the smell of popcorn and pure joy long gone.
I am the only reveller who remains, 
and my time of rejoicing has long departed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment